Mac and Millie Mysteries #1 by JB Michaels
Published on: October 23, 2019
Genre: Cozy Mystery
A new cozy mystery series set in an idyllic town featuring a well-known ex-cop and his girlfriend and a touch magic.
Add ‘Catch a killer’ to your Christmas to-do list! Meet Mac, a retired hero cop with writer’s block and a penchant for trouble. What holiday hijinks will he get himself into? Probably a murder investigation.
Meet Millie, a local banker and former college athlete who may have a trick or two up her sleeve. What Christmas conundrum will she be brought in to solve? Again, a murder mystery.
In this delightful cozy mystery set in downtown Geneva, Illinois, our sarcastic and savvy sleuths will seek justice for the untimely death of the owner of the beloved and charming retail mansion: The Tiny Wanderer.
It’s time to stroll on Third street. Immerse yourself in beautiful Christmas décor. Drink some hot chocolate and help solve the Christmas Walk Caper.
Mac O’Malley is at the local cafe working on his story for a publisher when he overhears someone worried about a mutual acquaintance, Patricia. Mac is a former cop who is well-known for preventing an attack on the Chicago marathon and his instincts kick in just a little when he hears the concern. Patricia’s home is one of the houses featured in the town’s Christmas Walk – the town’s lighting of the Christmas along with festively decorated houses around the downtown area. He decides to go with the individual who had the concern just to check on things and together they discover Patricia has died.
Everyone believes the death is from natural causes, including Mac’s brother Vince, but Mac doesn’t believe this to be the case. So, he decides to investigate on his own with help from his girlfriend Millie.
The Christmas Walk Caper is set in a town that reminds you of a Christmas Hallmark movie, just with a bit of murder instead. With several suspects to look at Mac and Millie have a lot on their hands. The actual Christmas Walk is a bit deal and brings in a huge crowd and lots of money for the town, so Patricia being potential murdered instead of dying from natural causes is fairly inconvenient for those involved, especially some of the suspects.
Things I Liked:
- Christmas. You can never go wrong with this holiday, especially when the backdrop is festivity and the town has a small town feel to it.
- About 75% of the way, the story took a turn I wasn’t expecting. There’s a slight twist of sorts toward the end. Twist perhaps isn’t the best word to use, but maybe ‘unexpected addition’ to this new series is a better choice. I mean, cozy mysteries often have an element that makes them special and unique, but for some reason I wasn’t expecting this one. But the twist/unexpected addition adds a new dimension to the story and any future stories that will be interesting to see.
- Millie’s family. They were really nice and homey and funny.
- The cover has a lot of Christmas charm.
What was Ok or Didn’t Like:
- Some of the conversations and dialogue were a bit awkward. I noticed this more when a new character was being brought into the mystery, or during a transition to one part of the story to another. This mostly happened early on and smoothed out later.
Overall, a pleasant read for fans of cozy mysteries, especially those who like partnerships in their mystery solving books.
Thanks to Lola’s Blog Tour and the author for the reader copy and opportunity to provide an honest review.
You can find The Christmas Walk Caper on Goodreads
You can buy The Christmas Walk Caper here on Amazon
About the Author:
I am JB Michaels, award-winning and USA Today Bestselling Author of two series: Bud Hutchins Thrillers and the Tannenbaum Tailors.
I have spent my life in the study of story from riveting novels to the slam-bang action-packed world of comics to the examination of film history, I have spent a lifetime learning and examining the elements that make a story incredible. This steadfast dedication has led me to writing stories of my own.
I am married and with a son, I have a great love of family. I hope that you enjoy my bestselling books that mash genres from thrillers to science fiction to fantasy!
You can find and contact JB Michaels here: